Better Than Starbucks
Homemade Pumpkin Spice Syrup
It’s still 1 million degrees here in Florida, but that is not stopping us from persevering through the heat and full on pretending like it’s sweater weather. I’ve already told Ryan that since it’s September it’s officially time to bump down the thermostat just a few extra degrees so that it will at least feel like Fall inside, even if our windows fog up from the 100% humidity and heat outside. He’s not thrilled about what this adjustment will mean for our A/C bill, but a girl’s gotta do what a girls gotta do!
But before I get too crazy and actually start wearing sweaters, bringing out the deep red lipstick, and making a batch of butternut squash soup, I’ll start small with my favorite Fall recipe of all time, Homemade Pumpkin Spice Coffee Syrup. This will take your coffee or homemade lattes to the next level!
If you have been a long time follower, you may remember this recipe from a few years ago. My sister is a mastermind in the kitchen and is always whipping up some new fancy concoction for us all to try. This is one of my very favorite recipes of hers that is so good it deserves to be shared and re-shared! So even if our outside thermometer says “Summer” your morning cup of coffee will say “Fall”.
Homemade Pumpkin Spice Syrup Recipe (Coffee Syrup):
- 1½ cup granulated sugar
- 1½ cup water
- 1/3 cup pumpkin
- 1 ½ tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- ½ tsp ginger
- ½ tsp cloves
- pumpkin pie spice for garnish
- Place sugar and water in a small saucepan over low heat and stir until sugar dissolves.
- Mix the pumpkin and the spices together in a small bowl.
- Add about ½ cup of the sugar water mixture into the pumpkin mixture and stir until combined.
- Now place all the mixtures back into the saucepan and stir until combined.
- Simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Strain syrup with a fine sieve colander.
- Cool in refrigerator. It will thicken a bit more once it cools.
- Brew some coffee or whip up a latte, add syrup, enjoy!
(Recipe adapted from CincyShopper.com)