My Secret to Snacking!
I’m going to be real with you: I am practically always hungry. My handbag is predictably full of snacks, and when I pack for a trip, a box of protein bars is the very first thing in my suitcase. Seriously. I just ate a 1/4th of a watermelon before I wrote this post, and don’t even get me started on my husband; he too could eat the entire fridge. Consequently, I have become quite creative when it comes to snacks! I have started keeping a tupperware container in the fridge of hard boiled eggs, grilled chicken, and ready to grab fruit and veggies. But one of my favorite things to keep on hand are these homemade energy bites. These are amazing. They are packed full of protein and are perfect for when starvation kicks in and dinner is only an hour away, or early in the morning before a spin class! These my friends, save lives. Also, did I mention they taste like cookies?!
Let’s be honest: everyone is happier after a snack!
Also, I swap out different ingredients in this recipe all the time! So feel free to change it up, add more of something, swap ingredients, and add in spices! It’s hard to go wrong with this one. Well…. I take that back. Last week I added in sunflower seeds. Too many of them…. that was a no-go. But don’t think we didn’t still eat every single one of them, because we did.
- 1 cup Almonds
- 1 cup Walnuts
- 1 cup Cashews
- 1/2 cup Organic Oats (GF)
- 1/2 cup Organic Coconut Flakes (Unsweetened)
- 1/4 cup Semi Sweet Chocolate Chips (Enjoy Life brand)
- 1/4 cup Organic Honey
- 1/4 cup Almond Butter
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Cinnamon
- Dump all ingredients into blender except chocolate chips, honey, and almond butter.
- Pulse in the blender until everything is chopped and mixed together.
- Transfer the mixture to a large bowl and add in chocolate chips and honey.
- Stir mixture until it starts sticking together and everything is mixed in.
- Form mixture into small bite size balls and place on a cookie sheet.
- Melt almond butter in a small microwaveable bowl for 30 seconds, stir, and microwave another 30 seconds.
- Dip the bites in the melted almond butter and place back on the cookie sheet.
- Once they have all been dipped, place the cookie sheet in the freezer for about 30 mins.
- After they have set, place energy bites in a container and keep in the freezer.
- * I like them frozen so I keep mine in the freezer, but I assume the fridge would work just as well!
- Let us know if you try out this recipe! Share the photo and tag #cookingwithABD + @ashleybrookedesigns